If you think that you or someone you know has an alcohol problem, this alcoholism quiz may help you become more certain.
While an alcohol quiz is somewhat subjective and hardly scientific, answering yes to many of the questions here is a strong indication of minimal alcohol abuse, if not full-blown alcoholism.
The difference between abuse and alcoholism is that the former causes problems with various aspects of daily life. If the pattern of abuse continues it can turn into dependence where the person become unable to control their cravings.
As you read the questions in the quiz, be honest with yourself or about the person who worries you. There is no one watching this alcohol quiz but you, and only you will know the answers.
If, after completing the alcohol quiz, you feel that there is a problem, the time has come to act. See a physician or counselor or encourage the person you know to do likewise. Also look into support programs.
Then, if you feel you need help after completing the alcoholism quiz, contact your healthcare provider right away for an assessment of your condition, alcoholism and alcohol abuse treatment referrals, and support program recommendations.
Note: this alcoholism quiz is worded to you, the reader. If you are taking it based on another person’s behavior simply insert that person’s name for “you” to provide more focus.
Free Helpline. Expert Advice 24/7. Privacy Guaranteed
- Are you drinking more than 7 drinks a week (female), or 14 drinks a week (male)? Note that one drink is defined as 1.5 oz. of spirits, 5 ounces of wine, or a 12 oz. glass of beer.
- Are you a heavy drinker (heavy being defined as more than three drinks a day for a woman, or more than five drinks a day for a man)?
- Are you engaging in risky behaviors like drinking and driving or drinking on the job?
- Do you need alcohol to get to sleep, to socialize, or deal with stress?
- Do you spend a lot of time thinking about drinking, or finding ways to drink inconspicuously?
- Do you hide alcohol or worry about not having enough?
- Do you find it hard to stop drinking once you start?
- Do you have trouble remembering what you did while drinking?
- Do you drink in the morning to “get going”?
- Do you drink predominantly alone?
- Do you find yourself craving alcohol?
- Does drinking disrupt your sleeping?
- Does drinking decrease your motivation to achieve or complete tasks?
- Have people confronted you about your alcohol consumption?
- Has alcohol caused financial trouble?
- Do you feel badly about drinking?
- In social situations do you drink to feel less anxious?
- Have you had to explain bad behaviors when drinking to friends, family or co-workers?
- Have you missed work because of hangovers?
- Has your job performance suffered due to drinking?
- Have you ever been hospitalized for alcohol poisoning?
- Have you considered getting help for your drinking?
- Do you feel out of control when it comes to your alcohol consumption?
- Do you fight or damage property when you drink?
- Have you ever gotten hurt when drinking?
- Have you ever gotten in legal trouble due to alcohol consumption?
- Do you think your drinking is “normal” despite others criticism of over-indulgence?
If you answered three or more of the alcoholism quiz questions positively then it’s very likely that you, or someone you know, are using alcohol in a way that’s potentially harmful to your health. And while the results of an alcohol quiz is only one indicator, the sooner someone gets help, the better.
Free 24/7 Helpline
For a list of organizations providing information and assistance to those who suffer from alcoholism and alcohol abuse, see our treatment section.
More than the alcoholism quiz on our alcoholism signs page
Alcoholism home page